From non-profit to for-profit organizations, senior living communities to charter schools, HJ Sims delivers innovative and flexible capital solutions that meet our clients’ evolving needs through our Financed Right approach.
More than Eighty-Five Years of Excellence
- Founded on Wall Street in 1935
- Underwrote the first tax-exempt municipal bond in 1965 to finance a long-term care community
- Over $30.1 billion in total project financings as of December 31, 2020
- Ownership stake by HJ Sims Investments, an affiliate of HJ Sims, in more than 86 senior living communities
- Bankers who serve on industry committees, advisory panels and as Board Members of senior living communities
What We Do
We structure and underwrite an array of bond products for corporate and project finance needs.
We raise preferred equity from private investors and equity funds on joint venture and co-investment bases.
Acquisition, Affiliations, Divestitures
We source opportunities and negotiate terms to help organizations grow or focus their mission.
We solicit bank and agency debt and can serve as a client’s advisor on underwritings.
We advise on interest rate hedging strategies and derivative products.
Strategic Capital Planning
We identify, evaluate, and integrate an organization’s capital needs into its long- term strategic plan.
We share knowledge on market and industry trends, and provide in-depth review of more specific topics.
We work with organizations to invest in their portfolios and trustee-held funds.
Solutions We Deliver
Tax-exempt bonds may be issued on behalf of 501(c)(3) organizations and for-profit organizations whose projects meet certain IRS guidelines.
Taxable bonds may be issued for organizations or project costs without access to tax-exempt financing because of IRS restrictions.
By utilizing draw-down bonds, and not fully funding at closing, you save on interest during the construction period and reduce total borrowing amount.
When entrance fees, capital campaign collections, or other front-end revenue sources are expected, HJ Sims can structure short-term bonds with redemption flexibility.
Interim financing for a variety of capital needs allows organizations to seize current opportunities in advance of longer-term financing solutions.
Pre-development financing for start-up and major expansion projects are structured from a variety of different sources.
HJ Sims solicits and negotiates interim and long-term bank debt at competitive terms and rates on behalf of its clients.
Multifamily Accelerated Processing
Sims Mortgage Funding specializes in originating FHA-insured loans for healthcare, senior housing and multifamily projects.
FHA-Insured Loans Lean Healthcare Programs
Need capital for a skilled nursing, assisted living, specialized use or hospital facility? Sims Mortgage Funding helps you find the FHA- insured program that best fits your project.
Preferred equity is available for expansion, acquisition, start-up and buyout opportunities. HJ Sims provides preferred equity from private investors and equity funds on joint venture and co-investment bases.
Mezzanine and Subordinate Loans
HJ Sims’ clients appreciate increased leverage and lower recourse requirements, and can deploy their resources to more projects more quickly, or monetize their equity.
Sims HUD Plus®
Under HJ Sims HUD Plus® clients can leverage up to 92.5% of the market value of their project with HUD-approved secondary financing.
The HJ Sims Advantage
- Dedicated team of sales, trading, and underwriting professionals, with expertise in investment-grade and high-yield municipal and corporate markets
- Broad investor base to cover the full spectrum of Tier I (large) institutional investors along with Tier II and Tier III middle markets
- Unique investor distribution capabilities through HJ Sims Private Wealth Management
Broader Distribution Translates to
- Lower costs of capital
- Flexible terms and covenants
- Higher level of leverage
- Higher assurance of closing
deliver customized financing solutions and ongoing education.
Senior Living COVID-19 Sentiment Survey