2021 Fall Finance Conference
HJ Sims is proud to be able to attend, exhibit, sponsor and present at the fall conference.
Stop by and say hello!
Thought Leadership and Educational Session:
Extending Housing and Services to the Middle Market
Session Date & Time: Friday, October 14, 2021 from 1:00 p.m. to 2:00 p.m
Senior Living Organizations face a heightened cross-current of conditions, combining factors stemming from the pandemic coupled with longer-term trends, many of which accelerated by the crisis – including factors impacting marketing and sales, staffing and operations and financial performance and position. With a return to a (new) normal, shaped by perspective gained throughout the course of the pandemic, this Session will review the current state of the senior living sector, impact on operating and financial performance and, as importantly, implications for continued mission fulfillment and growth in not-for-profit senior living organizations going into 2022 and beyond.
Demand for senior living services is rebounding, albeit with some twists; accordingly, topics to be considered include:
- Offerings of Middle-Market & Affordable in addition to Market Rate Seniors Housing
- Rental vs. Entrance Fee Contract/Revenue Models
- Prospects for & Right-Sizing Skilled Nursing
With the return to more normalized resident demand, senior living growth strategies are once again of critical focus, with implications for the composition of senior living campuses and services – topics of consideration include:
- Existing Campus Repositioning and Expansion along with development of Satellite Campuses and/or offering of Home & Community-based services
- Project development lead times and construction cost inflation and techniques to manage these dynamics
- Growth by Partnership, Affiliation and/or Acquisition including evaluation of the dynamic between Not-for-Profit and For-Profit providers whether as Competitor or Partner.
Finally, the availability, cost and terms of financing and financing strategies remain of utmost importance, both with regard to the senior living organization’s existing capital structure as well as in funding new capital investment. Capital is widely available and interest rates at multi-decade historic lows – presenting unprecedented opportunities for refinancing as well funding of new growth opportunities.
HJ Sims, with its comprehensive focus on the senior living sector through the provision of financing and advisory services to both Not-for-Profit and For-Profit sponsors over the past 50+ years, offers a well-informed and reasoned insight on the current state of the senior living sector. This Session will include participation from several members of the Sims team including senior living and capital markets research as well as both not-for-profit and for-profit investment banking. These industry veterans draw on industry and market data as well as client case studies to highlight current conditions and future trends.
- Solidify understanding of and perspective on the current areas of greatest challenge and opportunity in the senior living sector – considering long-term trends along with the impact of the pandemic on the continuation or shift in senior living sector dynamics.
- Illustrate key considerations, paths and processes to use in responding to these challenges and reframe them as opportunities.
- Identify effective strategies for maintaining organizational relevance and achieving continued growth across the care continuum with emphasis on areas of greatest resident/customer demand and financial viability – including financing approaches and techniques in support of these objectives.
- James Bodine, Executive Vice President, HJ Sims
- Siamac Afshar, Vice President, HJ Sims
- Gayl Mileszko, Senior Vice President, Director of Credit Analysis, HJ Sims